Monday, October 19, 2009

Paris

I was sorry to leave Laval, but happy to be returning to Paris. The ride to Le Mans

reminded me of the Mayenne region I had just left. I would have liked to stay in Le Mans but that will be for another time. After a while the land became flat and I caught a glimpse of the cathedral of Chartres, sitting on a hill in the distance.









The idyllic landscapes gave way to an immense traffic jam circling the southern periphery of Paris from the forest of Rambouillet back to Vaires-sur-Marne, a distance of 60 miles which took about two hours. From Plaisir in yellow, follow the yellow to the red band and continue to the opposite side marked Marne-la-Vallée where I arrived in early evening.






I did have a choice. I could have gone through Paris but the distance would only have been about 10 miles shorter. I am wondering if I made the wrong choice. At least if I had encountered the same traffic - it could not have been worse - I would have enjoyed the scenery going through Paris.

I might try that next time. I had left Laval at 12:15 and I arrived at 6:00 in Vaires-sur-Marne at the home of Georges-Edouard and his parents.  I was tired.  Over dinner we exchanged news of events since I had last seen everyone at the house in Brittany.






No comments:

Post a Comment