During the reign of Louis IX (Saint Louis) in the 13th c. the dungeon was surrounded by a wall with four round towers at the four directions of the compass.
The most famous resident of the chateau was René, known as The Good King for his charitable work. (René was King of Sicily, one among many other titles he held.)
René was a very cultivated ruler: he spoke five languages, wrote books, was a great patron of artists, had a vast library of illuminated manuscripts (some of which I had seen in Angers), and held a brilliant court until his death in 1480. During his rule, Anjou was the center of culture and commerce. 1481 following the death of René’s heir, the duchy returned to the French crown once again.Restoration of the chateau began in the mid-16th e. and in the last decade of the century Henri IV appointed a military governor of the former duchy, a huguenot closely allied to the King (himself a convert to Catholicism). He brought an Italian architect to the château to reinforce its defenses.
Following a star-shaped plan he built defensive curtain walls with sunken, fortified rooms, a kind of bunker). Following the Edict of Nantes pronounced in 1598 by Henri IV, Saumur became a refuge for Protestants and over the next hundred years, the chateau lost its prestige and grandeur. In 1745 the chateau was used a prison until 1830 when it became an arsenal until 1890. Meanwhile, in 1862 it was declared an historic monument. In 1906 it became the property of the City of Saumur and the site of its museum of art.Saumur appears just as one might expect to find in a storybook: its position on a hill with round towers and pointed slate roofs, surrounded by gardens and vines – almost a vision rising before one’s eyes.
It would be wonderful to see the interior match the splendor of the exterior, but that is not yet possible. An ambitious restoration was begun in 1997, but was halted when a section of the north wall (facing the Loire) fell onto the town in 2001. An examination revealed that the entire structure was threatened by large cavities in the foundations. An enormous construction site was installed to save the 14th c. structure and stabilize the terrain. That was completed in 2007.
At present, only the space used for exhibitions is open. Installed in the former apartments of the Dukes of Anjou, is a collection of decorative arts; and under the eaves, a museum of accessories related to the history of harnessing horses from late antiquity to the present.
Chateau of Saumur: Left as it appears in Book of Hours of Duke of Berry; right as it appears in 2010. Manuscript verticality is exaggerated.
No comments:
Post a Comment