Maison d’Adam
I arrived in Angers in late morning so I had time to walk in the historic area before having lunch. I discovered a very charming square with a few trees, benches, and picturesque buildings around it. Facing the square was one of several half-timbered houses remaining in Angers.
Collegiate Church of Saint Martin
I walked some more and the first monument I saw in Angers was the Collegiate Church of Saint Martin. I loved its very simple Romanesque façade.
Sometime later, the Count of Anjou, Foulques Nerra (987-1040) restored the church and installed a community of monks. When the choir was again enlarged in the second half of the 13th c, it was in Anjou gothic style. After the Revolution, the church became successively a storage depot and then a chapel. In 1986 the general council of Anjou restored the chapel, now used as a museum for sculpture and remains of objects found in the crypt and church during excavations and restoration. These include the slate coverings over sarcophagi showing their epitaphs, various statues, and Romanesque decorations.
Cathedrale Saint Maurice
It is hard to imagine a more impressive approach to the Cathedral of St. Maurice, than the wide staircase, almost a ramp, leading up from the Maine River.
When I entered the cathedral there was a guide speaking to visitors seated in the nave. I sat and listened and learned more about the church than I would have on my own. The interior is known for its ribbed vault which is so highly arched that it imitates a dome, so characteristic that it is known as an angevine vault.
The cathedral walls were once covered with tapestries. The most celebrated among them are displayed in the chateau. I read that this area of the western Loire and the Maine River is particularly rich in tapestries. This may be because of the residences and visits of the Dukes of Brittany and the Kings of France who might have commissioned them or in whose honor they may have been presented; or they just may have been documents recording an important occasion. These are in various churches, museums, or other institutions and it is the responsibility of the Regional Council of Maine-et-Loire to assure the preservation and safety of the more than 300 tapestries in its inventory.
On my way back to the hotel I passed arches that led to a street (Rue d’Alsace). The pillars supporting the arches were painted with whimsical horses. I learned that Angers was the center of manufacture of merry-go-rounds from 1885-1965. Gustave Bayol was a sculptor who came to Angers and was asked to design horses for a merry-go-round. The enterprise he founded lasted until 1939 and employed hundreds of artists and furnished merry-go-round horses all over France. Some manufacture continued after the war until 1965.
Chateau d’Angers
Built over some Gallo-Roman town buildings, in turn standing on a Neolithic site, the château was occupied from the 9th century onwards by the Counts of Anjou. The chateau, overlooking the Maine River, is surrounded by a fortress constructed by Saint Louis about 1230. It dominates the city with 17 towers of blue schist with blond limestone bands.
The exterior of the chateau is in contrast to the courtyard, where there are beautiful gardens and a “chatelet” or small chateau, actually the entrance to the seigneurial residence,
A special wing of the chateau houses an extraordinary treasure, the famous
tapestries of the Apocalypse, woven for Duke Louis I of Anjou beginning about 1375. The installation is enormous and impressive.
Though the tapestries illustrate the text of St. John, their value today is in the treatment of the scenes which depict the events and misery of the Hundred Years War as it appeared to contemporary Angevine society. To see them is to be transported back in time.
On Saturday I took advantage of the sunny weather to leave Angers to see the Romanesque Abbey of Cunault, the Abbey of Fontevrault with the tombs of Henri II and Eleanor of Aquitaine, and the chateau of Saumur. These visits are described in a separate section.
La Tour Saint Aubin
Sunday was my last full day in Angers and I wanted to see the museum. I arrived just as it was about to close for lunch so I sat I n a nearby plaza. At one end of the rectangular area and facing me was the 12th century bell tower of the former abbey of Saint Aubin.
The museum
The museum of Angers was the residence of Olivier Barrault, a mayor of Angers beginning in 1498 and a treasurer of Louis XII.
The museum opened in 1801, but minus its high roofs and windows and with two additional stories.
Le Logis Pincé,
This is a renaissance residence – more like a mini-château, built between 1530 and 1535 and renovated in neo-gothic style in 1899. It was used as a museum, but is now closed and undergoing restoration.
No comments:
Post a Comment