I had two small shopping bags and wanted to use the rest room, so I asked the woman sitting nearby if she would watch it. She smiled and moved it closer to her; she smiled again when I returned and, when I left, she said "au revoir" with another smile.
I decided to have dinner near the concert hall and took a bus to a stop nearby. The Salle Pleyel was recently renovated to restore its Art Deco appearance.
As I entered I noticed people wearing evening attire. I was not too surprised because Paris audiences still dress elegantly for such events. The performance was scheduled to be Handel's Susanna, presented by the renowned Baroque ensemble, Les Arts Florissants, led by William Christie, an American expatriate. As the lights dimmed in the hall, there was an announcer who began with a greeting. He welcomed the Minister of Culture and Communication, the Ambassadors, and other officials. Then he explained that this was the 30th anniversary of the founding of the ensemble. He said it was rare to find in one person (Christie) the desire to conserve a patrimony, to create an ensemble, and to interpret the music of the age of Louis XIV along with excellent musicians.
The concert hall was full and the audience silent during the
performance; afterwards the crowd was so enthusiastic that Christie asked the
singers to repeat the last ten minutes of the performance. I left only after all the musicians had left
the stage. It was 11 pm. I was thrilled to have heard such a beautiful performance. http://www.arts-florissants.com/site/accueil.php4
| William Christie |

No comments:
Post a Comment