I woke up at 10 am, having gone to bed last night at 10pm. I was still tired and probably should have stayed in, but after lunch I decided to go to the Louvre. Just as I approached the train station, the sun came out.
| Vaires-sur-Marne |
Obviously, I had to choose what to see. This was not the first time I visited some of these galleries, but I know that I see different things at different times. This was a fascinating period, of advanced civilizations, and long lost empires that I only know about from reading.
Lagash is an ancient city located northwest of the junction of the Tigris and Euphrates rivers and east of Uruk. It is located in present day Iraq. It is one of the oldest cities of the Ancient Near East.
![]() |
| Gudea, the Prince of Lagash. He holds a vase from which flows a river of fish. The image evokes the role of a protector who nourishes his people and assures their prosperity. |
One of the most famous objects in the Louvre is known as the Code of Hammurabi, an emblem of Mesopotamia. It is a basalt column erected by the king of Babylon in the 18th century B.C. It is a work of art, an historic object, and the most complete legal document of antiquity, even before the Bible. The text is written in cuneiform in the Akkadian language. The first rule reads, "If a man accuses another of homicide, but cannot bring proof against him, the accuser will be put to death." It is harsh by today's Western legal standards.
![]() |
| Code of Hammurabi |
As in other large museums, getting from place to place involves long walks through beautiful galleries. It is hard to resist the impulse to stay in them, especially when they are so spectacular.
It is a challenge to choose what to focus on when there are many small objects in a case; and many, many other cases with hundreds of small, finely crafted works of art in them, but I just looked at those that most attracted my attention in each case.
| Statuettes in shape of birds. Alabaster Uruk about 3300 B.C. Albâtre |
From this gallery I could see into the courtyard. It was not yet 5 PM and the light was fading.
When he became king of Assyria, Sargon II decided to build a new capital that would reflect the grandeur of his reign. This relief comes from the palace.
![]() | |||
| Sargon is tall and faces an important dignitary (left), perhaps the Crown Prince Sennacherib. Traces of pigment lead scholars to believe that the figures were painted. |
Mesopotamia did not have enough wood to built Sargon's capital, so the wood had to be imported.
It was almost 6:00 when I left the Louvre. The palace and the pyramid were lit for the evening. Also, there was a full moon. The scene was so beautiful!
| Although this photo is somewhat blurry, it is possible to appreciate the effect. |
| Cuneiform text |




No comments:
Post a Comment