We got up early so that we could see more of
Berlin. It was a sunny day and not too
cold. We walked along Unter den Linden,
but most of the trees had already lost their leaves.
Still, the avenue had a certain old-fashioned charm, no doubt because I could imagine how lovely it would be in spring.

Still, the avenue had a certain old-fashioned charm, no doubt because I could imagine how lovely it would be in spring.
We came upon the Brandenburg gate which we had seen from the other side on our bus tour. It was very imposing.
There were lots of tourists, but probably fewer than in the summer. And lots of vendors, this one selling pretzels; others selling the usual souvenirs.
We walked through the gate, took some more photos, and saw a beautiful park that faced us. It was a beautiful day.
The Holocaust memorial was nearby so we stopped there. At first it looked like a cemetery with blocks of stone coffins of different sizes placed any which way. It was very bleak and the ground was not even – all contributed to a sense of instability. I could imagine feeling trapped. I was happy to leave it.

We had lunch and then went back to the station where we parted. Donna was going back to her apartment in Chemnitz and I was returning to Paris. I love Paris, but I was sorry to leave Berlin after such a short time.
I arrived in Paris at 5:40 pm and back at my friend’s house for dinner. I almost fell asleep at the table! No wonder!

No comments:
Post a Comment