Saturday, September 26, 2009

Guingamp and Kernevez

As planned, I left Dinan in the morning of September 29th. I planned visits to two villages, Moncontour and Quintin that were on the route to Guingamp where my friend's parents lived. I had arranged to meet them in the nearby village of Le Merzer so that they could lead me to the house; it was isolated in the countryside and had no street address, just a locality named Kernevez. It was getting dark when we arrived at the house, and by the time we had supper it was nearly 10 pm. I was very tired and wanted to wait until Geb arrived at 11:30, but I could not stay awake any longer.

I was still tired when I woke up on Saturday morning. I had not made any plans but Colette and Christian wanted to go to the market in Guingamp. That sounded just fine. The market was colorful and to my delight, there was a rhythm band in costume performing on the main square. A conductor led a chorus of drums and tambourines by giving them a rhythm which they then tapped out; the rhythms changed and then got faster and faster.


We browsed around the market briefly and I went in search of a few colorful photos.





There was a graceful, Renaissance fountain in the square called “la Plomee.” The name comes from the Breton word "blomen," meaning "source of a spring." It had two basins with winged horses supporting the lower one and winged female figures supporting the upper one.



After lunch, Christian and Geb proposed going to the Breton coast at Paimpol. We left around 2:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment